welcome to main street franklin
Main Street Franklin (MSF) is an IRS approved 501.(c)6 non-profit tax exempt organization. Its goal is to preserve Franklin’s historic business district while creating an attractive commercial area that houses an appropriate business mix and offers a welcoming streetscape that complements its natural feel and historic architecture.
MSF strives to maintain the neighborhood feeling of the commercial district – where property owners, business owners, and residents take pride in the appearance of their buildings, stores, and homes – while enhancing its cultural and economic potential – ensuring its long-term viability by making it a great place to live, shop, work, and play.
As a unique economic development tool, the Main Street Four-Point Approach® is the foundation for local initiatives to revitalize their districts by leveraging local assets—from cultural or architectural heritage to local enterprises and community pride.
How to support our mission: We invite you to support your hometown historic village center by supporting Main Street Franklin today! It's easy to do by mailing a check or paying by credit card here!
Here are some of the things we do with your support:
The value MSF brings is immense!
Just look at what our volunteers have accomplished over the past 2.5 years.
- MSF created a $5,000 façade grant program. This program has supported the façade renovation for the Village Plaza as well as established plans for the rain garden, pedestrian & parking enhancement project. Future facades improvements include the Franklin Grill and Franklin Auto Service.
- MSF brought Michigan Economic Development Corporation’s Community Revitalization Program to its property owners and facilitated the application process, including writing the grant, for the proposed renovation of the Costello barn.
- MSF volunteers worked with Main Street Bank to put together a low-interest loan program for our property owners who were looking to do major improvements beyond façade renovations. This low-interest program was a key piece of the puzzle in the financing of the Costello barn project.
- Main Street Franklin is responsible for the recruitment of both Fitness Driven and Love Child, two top notch small businesses that add a great deal of value to our downtown, residents, and the area at large.
- MSF has facilitated annual property owner meetings, with additional ones in the works. Until the first meeting, the property owners had never come together in one group to address issues of concern, talk about solutions, or just to meet each other.
- MSF has brought the Village Center’s first public mural project to completion. This mural project will serve to showcase Franklin’s historic Village Center via the arts and raise awareness of our charming businesses district and all that it has to offer to the greater Detroit area.
- MSF hosted a one-day workshop, “Historic Preservation in the 21st Century.” This workshop brought some of the top leaders in their fields to Franklin to talk about such relevant issues as sustainability, the future of preservation, economic development and preservation, as well as an overview of the Secretary of the Interiors design standards.
- MSF has created a variety of new Village Center events that add value to the community, as well as bring business to our merchants. They include: Franklinstein Frenzy, the Chilly Chili Cook-off, Lobster Drop Fathers Day Feast, and Sip, Shop, and Stroll.
- MSF was responsible for bringing the first year of the Franklin Farmers Market to town. For years the community wished for a Farmers Market. Then MSF's volunteers created a work plan, and this wish was granted. While it was our volunteer hours and planning that established a base and created a successful first market year - the FCA has now successfully taken this task and they continue operating a wonderful fresh market for our community.
- Over the past 2.5 years, approximately 50 volunteers have dedicated 4,805 hours, or 120 weeks of full-time work to the Village Center. These hours are valued by the IRS at $22/hour for a total investment on the Village behalf of $105,710! This is expertise that would not have been available to the Village without a Main Street program in place.
Vision Statement: Through dedication and perseverance, Main Street Franklin will create a dynamic village center of commerce and culture that honors Historic Franklin's preserved architecture and magnificent rural setting, while actively encouraging economic growth to create a one-of-a-kind cultural, shopping, and destination experience for residents and visitors alike.